Is Anyone from Your Club Interested?
Sawtell SLSC are planning to pilot a Nippers Inclusion Program starting in October 2021 and are seeking expressions of interest from Clubs in our Branch with families that may be interested in participating.
The program will launch with a 6-week pilot program, which will run side by side with our general Nippers program. Here are a few details:
- Managers/Coordinators: Lyn Hastings (Sawtell SLSC patrolling member and special needs educator);
Sheena McTackett (Sawtell SLSC patrolling member, experienced Age Manager);
- Target Audience: children in the Nippers age band ie 6-14 with a developmental disability who have difficulty participating in a standard Nippers program. Potentially with a view to transitioning participants from Inclusion group to relevant Age Group if desired and appropriate (however this is not the aim of the program);
- Timing: Pilot will be a 6-week trial, with the first Inclusion session starting 17 October (second week of Nippers), finishing with the session preceding to Christmas break (12 December);
- Group size: Maximum of 8 participants for Pilot group (aiming for one-on-one water safety ratio);
- Location: Sawtell (for pilot program);
- Side by side program with mainstream Sawtell Nippers program ie run at same time/place but with modified activities;
- Water activities will be exclusively in flags zone;
- 1 hour session, 8.30am – 10am;
- Inclusion sessions will pause on Carnival dates;
- Mandatory to have one parent present and on the beach with participant.
Coordinators are seeking funding from Surf Life Saving Australia (SLSA) through the Inclusive Beaches Equipment Grants and have received advice and information from Clubs that are currently offering Inclusion programs.
For more details or if you have potential participants from your club who may be interested please click here to email Sheena McTackett or call on 0477 771 481.