Located 2.5km south of Urunga township, Hungry Head is Urunga’s town beach. The beach has maintained its natural setting with the only development being a park and picnic area on the headland and the attractive surf club tucked in between the head and the usually closed mouth of Dalhousie Creek.
In a meeting held in Urunga on 3 December 1946 the formation of the Bellingen Urunga Surf Life Saving Club was discussed. Mr Nicholas Gleeson, local publican of the Ocean View Hotel, was elected as the Club’s first President.
Since those early beginnings the Club has seen many changes. A name change to Urunga SLSC took place in 1952. Over the years the Clubhouse has evolved from a roughly built boat shed to the current building erected in 1987 using voluntary labour and funds from State and Local Governments. In between there have been three other buildings – a wooden clubhouse tucked into the headland, a single-story brick building constructed in 1966 and a double storey building completed in 1972.